Wednesday 22 July 2009

Me and the scarf


I don't usually go shopping on the weekdays as I prefer to stay home and do my work. Today was different. I gave my friend a buzz, so we hanged out in the city for hours. I did a lot of shopping. Though, I am quite picky in styles, today I managed to buy some really nice stuff.
We then headed for lunch/dinner and I had fierce arguments with my friend about the long-bearded people and women Abayas and Hijabs. It is so sickening when they keep using the same excuse that women are out to be protected from the "sexual desire" of men! This is one of the lamest excuse for making women wear Hijab. Have we, as for men, become so sadist! and if so why do we need to ask the other, woman, to take extra precaution as not to drive our aggressive sexual acts against her. What happens to the self control? what happens to the values that we as Muslims possess? Are you saying that everything can go into ruin including Islamic teachings and virtues when we are faced with a non-hijabi females? Is that all what this pretty creature represents? Why do we have to hide Allah's beautiful crafting from our sights?

I blame it all to the culture rather than the religion. So let's all pray that one day people realize that Allah looks deep inside our hearts rather than "his" dress code!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you very much I'm glad there are people who see how insane this is.
    why do women have to hide themselves from men? where did the hijab code come from? why should women be ashamed to show who they really are? what is wrong with who they are? why did god create them that way if he wanted them to hide it?
    or is this just to give a sign that they're second rank.

    i think the hijab segregates women from society... I see it as a barrier that hides their identity. and therefore makes their contributions less recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear TripleTee,
    Thanks for the comments. I am glad to see there are still Omani girls who utilize their minds instead of subjecting it to the social and cultural boundaries created by bearded and short dishdasha men.

    We are living in a very sad society where women are second class citizens. The worst is that women are made and programmed to believe it is for their own protection! they are made to believe Islam has liberated women! I bet this liberation they mean is forcing them (by fatwa) to wear the trash bag!

    Do you know that in Oman, women used not to wear Abaya and hijab was loosely worn?

    Your questions are all valid and I am hoping more women will realize the oppression they are under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well the sad thing is... even though I know this very well and I live through it every day... and I forcefully follow these oppressive rules no matter how much I don't believe in them. there is very little I can do about it at the moment. and watching/following something so helplessly only ever increased my anger inside.

    i know the women you speak of... there are many in my university who chose a man to be the head of the english group rather than the woman (who was better in english than he was) just because they believe men are superior and should be the ones to lead.

    I just wish I knew what happened in the past to make men abuse women this way. Understanding this is beyond me

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sad, really sad. It will take time for us to overcome these perspective about women. It will require struggles and sacrifices.
    I can feel what you feeling. I had a lot of clashes with family and friends when I express my discontent about the whole situation. I have lost friends because of that! The problem is that, the culture is rooted deep into the hearts of each one of us to the extent we feel it is part of our bodies, when touched it hurts us and we react aggressively!
    As for now, I am quite content to spread my beliefs and to stand against oppression and injustice using my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just "stumbled" upon your blog and read a decent number of posts from it. I love how you speak your mind.

    Couldn't agree with this post more.

    Keep us updated on whatever else you stumble upon ;)

    Ayna

    ReplyDelete
  6. تدوينة جميلة جدا لكن هذا حديث يطول النقاش فيه ولا ينتهي!
    لكنني لا أحب ولا أتفق ولا أطيق حتى سماع حججهم الواهية ، والتي يظنون فيها أن المرأة ما جاءت إلا فتنة للرجل ، وأن الإسلام جاء ليؤكد على أن الرجل كائن حي تحكمه أهواءه وغرائزه وأن المرأة فتنة ينبغي عليهم أن يستروها عن أنفسهم ويكمموا أفواهها ويسحقوا جمالها خلف السواد كيلا يتلبسهم الشيطان أمامها
    وأن عليها أن تكون العقل الحكيم تمسك بيد الرجل إلى الفضيلة ، فهو بلا عقلٍ ولا اتزان ، مع احترامي الشديد بالتأكيد ، رغم أن الدين براء من كل هذا وأنا براء من دينهم الذي يزعمون
    فالدين جاء يبارك المخلوق بإعجاز الخالق ،وجاء يدعو الانسان الى إحكام عقله والرقي بنفسه ورفعها عن مستوى الحيوانات ، وجعل للأنثى ما للذكر من إنسانية وحياة .. وأعطانا جميعاً المولد نفسه والموت ، لكنني لا زلت لا أفهم كيف يمكن لهم أن يصلوا بالأمور لهذه المراحل الغريبة جدا من التخلف!!
    الفضيلة ليست في الثوب والنقاب وطول اللحية ، إنها أكبر من ذلك بكثير

    ReplyDelete